Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Empty thyself of self

How quick I am to be crabby and short and sarcastic when I am all full of myself, and how quick He is to answer when I pray that He would come in and fill me with Himself instead. How much lighter and quicker a day's tasks seem when I do them all as unto Him. How quick I am to forget this and have to learn it all again the next day! His mercies are new every morning, and so is our need for His mercy.

If thou could'st empty all thyself of self,
Like to a shell dishabited,
Then might He find thee on the ocean shelf,
And say, "This is not dead,"
And fill thee with Himself instead.

But thou are all replete with very thou
And hast such shrewd activity,
That when He comes He says, "This is enow
Unto itself - 'twere better let it be,
It is so small and full, there is no room for me."

-Thomas Edward Brown

1 comment:

  1. Proverbs 25:25: "As cold water to a weary soul, so is good news from a far country."

    You're certainly not in another country, at least not for the time being, but reading about your growth is often encouraging to me in ways I need it most.

    Yesterday was a God full day, but I woke up feeling tired and empty of His glory. Reading this reminded me that it is when I feel empty that He can fill me up again. It also reminded me that I don't even have to feel empty, for in reality... He is pouring into me continuously.

    Love you Molly! We should talk soon :)

    ReplyDelete