Saturday, January 30, 2010

Sweet, sweet hymns

Over the past 9 months or so, thanks mostly to the influence of one person, I've developed a love for old hymns. So much theology, so much comfort, so much fellowship with the experiences of believers in days gone by-- I appreciate today's choruses for what they are, and I think they have their purpose, but there's just something about hymns.

God met me in hymns tonight. I was feeling a little overwhelmed with life, and especially with one situation. He prepared me for it in a beautiful way, and He has helped me to meet it with courage and faith in His faithfulness, but I am still human and prone to be overwhelmed from time to time. Tonight I was tired and discouraged and not feeling particularly inclined to continue on with the good fight, but:

Fear not, I am with thee, O be not dismayed,
for I am thy God, I will still give thee aid!
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.

When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace all-sufficient shall be thy supply.
The flames shall not hurt thee, I only design
thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.

The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose,
I will not, I will not desert to its foes.
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no never, no never forsake.

Sweet comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment