Friday, January 8, 2010

Burning bushes

There's an Andy Gullahorn song that I love. The chorus says, "I’m praying for a miracle to let me know you’re listening, waiting for a lightning bolt to strike. I'm walking through a garden of a thousand burning bushes, looking up to heaven for a sign." This is so true for me, so often. I go through life in a state of near-constant uncertainty, ready to doubt God as soon as I feel a little bit distant from Him.

But what has He done in my life? How much has He given me? How many miracles have I seen worked in my own life and in the lives of those around me, not to mention the stories I read and hear told second-hand? How far down did He stoop to pull me out of the mud and mire, and how firm is the rock on which I now stand? When I stop to consider, it's not long before I sing with the psalmist, "O Lord God Almighty, who is like you? You are mighty, O Lord, and your faithfulness surrounds you!" (Psalm 89:8)

What are the burning bushes that we ignore in our lives today as we look up to Heaven for a sign?

No comments:

Post a Comment