Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Humility

One of my new year's resolutions this year was to ask questions. For me, this meant two things-- first, to learn to listen (another resolution) more and talk less. I love hearing from the hearts of the people around me, but I have never been good at asking questions to initiate that sort of conversation. I am very good at talking about myself. And second, to humble myself and acknowledge willingly that I do not know everything. I want to learn from the wisdom and experience of the people around me, whether in web design or walking with the Lord.

In reading Matthew Henry's commentary on Leviticus 4 today, I was reminded of this resolution. Henry writes: "That which I see not, teach thou me, and, Show me wherein I have erred, are prayers we should put up to God every day; that if, through ignorance, we fall into sin, we may not through ignorance abide in it." When I was in a position of supervising summer staff members at Jonah, the question I loved most to hear was "What could I be doing better?" It invited teaching, encouraged growth, and showed a truly humble heart. How much sweeter must that question be to the One who has everything to teach us, when we have everything to learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment