Thursday, February 4, 2010

A calm and thankful heart

I admire Anne Steele quite a lot. I may have mentioned her before, but she's worth mentioning again. Loved the Lord, lost her fiance to drowning the day before her wedding, devoted the rest of her life to assisting her father in ministry and writing beautiful hymns of surrender and devotion to God. Here's one of my favorites, a simple prayer:

Father, whate'er of earthly bliss
Thy sovereign will denies,
Accepted at Thy throne, let this,
My humble prayer, arise:

Give me a calm and thankful heart,
From every murmur free;
The blessing of Thy grace impart,
And make me live to Thee.

Let the sweet hope that Thou art mine
My life and death attend,
Thy presence through my journey shine,
And crown my journey's end.

This is my prayer, in this time as in all times. Let me be calm and thankful, blessed by Your blessings and fixed on Your hope. Walk me through this life until death, and be there to meet me in glory at the end of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment