Thursday, August 13, 2009

Not because we are righteous

Today I was reading in the book of Daniel and came across the passage where he is praying for the city of Jerusalem. This had struck me earlier this summer, and it stuck out to me again today. He has seen a vision that Jerusalem will be in desolation for seventy years, and he lays out his heart before the Lord on behalf of his city, confessing their sins, blessing the name of the Lord, and pleading with Him for mercy. The whole prayer is powerful, but the part that stands out to me is the end:

"Now, our God, hear the prayers and petitions of your servant. For your sake, O Lord, look with favor on your desolate sanctuary. Give ear, O God, and hear; open your eyes and see the desolation of the city that bears your Name. We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy. O Lord, listen! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, hear and act! For your sake, O my God, do not delay, because your city and your people bear your Name."

We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy. So basic, but so essential, so beautiful, so pure and empowering and freeing. This truth alone sums up so much of the Christian faith, of the character of the God that I love and serve. This is it. I live and breathe and thrive not because I am righteous or have any inherent goodness, but because of God's great mercy. And for that I praise Him and bless His name.

No comments:

Post a Comment