Saturday, January 26, 2013

Mumford & Psalms

I listen to a lot of Mumford & Sons in seasons of transition. There's something epic, sojourning, traveler-esque about Mumford that I find comfort in-- if my heart is broken and my life is in upheaval, it's on a quest for something great and vast and worth it. I have spent a lot of time in the past year leaning my head on the window of a moving vehicle, listening to Mumford.

Today I discovered the perfect cocktail: Mumford & Psalms.

So give me hope in the darkness that I'll see the light
'Cause oh, they gave me such a fright
But I will hope as long as you like
Just promise me we'll be alright
-Mumford & Sons, "Ghosts That We Knew"

But as for me, my prayer is to you, O Lord.
At an acceptable time, O God,
in the abundance of your steadfast love answer me in your saving faithfulness.
-Psalm 69:13

I'll kneel down, wait for now
I'll kneel down, know my ground
Raise my hands, paint my spirit gold
And bow my head, keep my heart slow
'Cause I will wait, I will wait for you
I will wait, I will wait for you
-Mumford & Sons, "I Will Wait"

Be to me a rock of refuge,
to which I may continually come.
I will hope continually
and will praise you yet more and more.
-Psalm 71:3, 14
There will come a time, you'll see, with no tears
And love will not break your heart but dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see what you find there
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair
-Mumford & Sons, "After the Storm"

Father of the fatherless and protector of widows
is God in his holy habitation.
God settles the solitary in a home.
-Psalm 68:5-6

For you, O God, have tested us;
you have tried us as silver is tried.
We went through fire and through water;
yet you have brought us out to a place of abundance.
Come and hear, all you who fear God,
and I will tell what he has done for my soul.
-Psalm 66:10, 12, 16

No comments:

Post a Comment