Thursday, June 3, 2010

Doing our part and letting go

"Be strong and let us fight bravely for our people and the cities of our God. The Lord will do what is good in His sight."
-Joab to his brother Abishai, in 1 Chronicles 19

Maybe this isn't the most commonly referenced story in all of Scripture, but there's a principle here that hit me today. Joab and Abishai prepare their armies and agree to give the battle everything they've got for the sake of God. At the same time, they also accept that their resources are finite and the ultimate outcome is in the Lord's hands. Are there circumstances in our lives where we could be putting this into practice? I know I tend to either try to take it all into my hands or take a fatalistic view and resign myself to whatever happens. I think, though, that the key to this is in the balance. Isn't it always?

No comments:

Post a Comment