Friday, October 12, 2012

The Restoration of Peter

"There's nothing you can do to make God love you more, and there's nothing you can do to make Him love you less. He loves you because He loves you, because He loves you, because He loves you, because He loves you, because He loves you, because He loves you, because He loves you, because He loves you, because that is what He is like." -Jonathan David Helser

Peter is a simple fisherman, going through his daily routine. Jesus finds him where he is and changes the course of his life by calling him: "Follow me."

Peter walks through three years with Jesus, seeing the miracles, the kindness, the power, the authority, the humility, the meekness, the perfectness of Him.

Jesus humbles Himself before Peter, sharing a meal with him, washing His feet, spending time with him.

Jesus predicts His death, and Peter vows his allegiance, promises his faithfulness to the very end. Jesus predicts Peter's denial in triplicate that very night.

The guards come for Jesus, and Peter draws a sword and attacks in violence and emotion-- still dedicated to Jesus. Jesus sheathes the sword and goes peacefully with the men.

As Jesus is beaten, mocked, tortured, Peter warms himself by the fire. But his heart is cooling. "I wasn't with Him. (One.) I don't know Him. (Two.) I swear to God I've never even met the man! (Three.)"

The rooster crows, Peter remembers, and his heart breaks.

The next day, Jesus dies. Peter never had an opportunity to make it right.

When the news of the resurrection comes, Peter's heart leaps and then crashes. Jesus is alive, but I've ruined my chance. Peter goes back to fishing.

Jesus finds Peter where he is. He joins him in what he's doing. He cooks him breakfast. And then He pulls him aside.

"Peter, do you love me?" "You know I love you." (One.)
"Peter, do you love me?" "You know I love you." (Two.)
"Peter, do you love me?" "Lord, You know all things; You know I love You!" (Three.)

Jesus changes the course of his life by calling him again: "Follow me." 

You cannot fall beyond the reach of God's love and restoration. You cannot lose His call on your life. He is the father of the prodigal son, He is the God of Romans 8:38-39, and there is nothing and no one that can separate you from His love. Not even you.

No comments:

Post a Comment